Anticipated advertising for Recruit Firefighter Squad 1/2014 will start February/March 2014. Watch this space and also the Northern Territory local newspapers.
Being a firefighter seems an attractive job to many. We receive hundreds of enquiries about it each year. In our selection process, we aim to avoid recruiting people only for them to discover after a short time that it is not what they expected.
Firefighting – is it really for you?
Certain qualities needed to make an effective firefighter are not always immediately obvious.
Please take a minute to consider the following questions. Answer them as honestly as possible to see if you've got what it takes.
- Are you genuinely interested in people and able to get on with people from different backgrounds and cultures?
- Are you fit and healthy?
- Do you have a manual medium rigid driver’s licence (manual)?
- Do you have a First Aid Certificate?
- Are you committed to promoting the safety of your community?
- Do you enjoy working as part of a team?
- Could you work under pressure to support your colleagues?
- Can you think on your feet to solve problems, react flexibly and use your initiative?
- Would you be able to deal sensitively with members of the public in difficult and emotional situations?
- Would you be able to take the responsibility for representing a professional service?
- Are you committed to always maintaining and developing your skills?
- Do you enjoy working in a job where change and improvements are constant?
- Are you prepared to follow instructions from others?
- Are you prepared to work unsocial work patterns, which may include night shifts, weekend work, and public holidays?
- Are you dependable and can you be relied upon?
- Are you prepared to commit around 80 days of your life to your initial training, with no time off for holidays?
- Are you prepared, at emergency incidents, to work for several hours in difficult conditions without a break?
If you answered yes to all of the above, you may well be able to cope with the challenges of the firefighter role.
Still interested? Please read through the recruit firefighter information booklet to get a better understanding of the process.