Crime Stoppers

Arrest Unlicensed Fishing Tour Operator

Tuesday 10-Oct-2017 11:51

Northern Territory Police have charged a 59-year-old New South Wales man after he was caught allegedly running an unlicensed fishing tour company.

Water Police Senior Constable Sean Stanley said the man had been advertising the charters in a shop and online.

“Water police travelled to Limmen Bight, in the Gulf of Carpentaria, where the man was arrested in the process of conducting a tour,” he said.

He has been issued a Notice to Appear on 15 November 2017 for:

  • Unlicensed fishing tour operator
  • Unregistered fishing vessel (x2)

Senior Constable Stanley said these rogue operators are undercutting professional, licensed guides.

“There are many costs involved to be a licenced fishing tour operator – including licence fees, registration and insurance.

“As a result, unlicensed operators may charge substantially less. The unsuspecting punter on board these operations think they’re getting a good deal – but if they are injured while on board the vessel, they are not covered by public liability insurance.”

Senior Constable Stanley said Water Police will continue to target unlicensed tour operators in the Territory.