Kulgera – Central Desert

Kulgera is a small bush town surrounded by thousands of kilometres of cattle station, situated just 21km from the South Australian - Northern Territory border. The area is Pitjantjatjara country, and aboriginal paintings can be found at sites in the area.

Kulgera
Click to View Image

Education

There is no local school so School of the Air or boarding school are the only education options.

Health Services

There is no health clinic located within Kulgera, therefore medical facilities are limited to the Royal Flying Doctor Service and Station white box. Finke and Imanpa communities have a clinic staffed by a full time registered nurse.

History/Culture

The area has been occupied, according to archaeological evidence, by the Luritja Aboriginal people for at least 25,000 years. Kulgera and the nearby Mount Cavanagh stations were established as sheep farms in the late 1920s but converted to cattle in the 1960s due to drought, poor wool prices and labour costs. The realignment of the Stuart Highway in 1947 saw Kulgera become a highway stopover and in 1955 a store was built, the forerunner of the Kulgera Roadhouse today.

Recreation activities

There is the 4WD Goyder stock route, local Aboriginal paintings, bushwalking and camping.