Northern Territory Police have seized cannabis and a large quantity of alcohol destined for remote communities in the Northern Territory.
On 19 and 20 November 2020, officers carried out a traffic campaign in the Daly River district specifically targeting vehicles bringing alcohol and drugs into communities.
During the operation, members identified 14 offenders for drug and alcohol offences, traffic violations (drive expired licence/unregistered vehicle) and one notice to appear for drink driving.
Police seized a total of:
- 43 grams of cannabis
- 9 X 1L bottles of Bundaberg Rum
- 9 X 750ml bottle of Bundaberg Rum
- 1 X 6 pack of apple cider
- 1 X 24 pack of XXXX beer
- 6 X cans of Bundaberg Rum
- 2 X 6 packs of Corona
- 4 X 2L boxes of red and white wine
Superintendent Kirk Pennuto said, “The seizing of the alcohol and drugs will have a significant impact on lessening domestic violence in the Daly River, Peppimenarti, Palumpa and Wadeye communities.”
Meanwhile at an operation at Groote Eylandt airport Drug Detector Dog Lena led to the seizure of 56 grams of cannabis and a total of five litres of alcohol.
A 20-year-old woman was issued a notice to appear at the local court on 15 December 2020 for:
- supply schedule 2 dangerous drug less commercial quantity
- possess traffickable quantity schedule 2 dangerous drug public place
- supply liquor alcohol protected area.